Tired of the same chocolate chip muffins I’d been making my daughter for her quick, grab-and-go breakfasts and wanting something light to match the lovely, sunny spring weather – I came up with these delicious Lemon Strawberry muffins! These are now my favourite muffins I’ve ever had and can never go back to plain, old chocolate chip. At least for this week …
And of course, they are vegan, gluten-free, and low FODMAP.
Vegan Lemon, Strawberry Muffins
- 1 cup Vegan “buttermilk”
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour blend of choice (I prefer half Robin Hood Gluten Free Flour and half President’s Choice All Purpose Gluten Free Flour)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heaping white sugar
- 1 egg replacer – use a white egg replacer for a softer, nicer looking muffin.
- 1/3 cup flavourless oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh, chopped strawberries
- Large crystal cane sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray muffin tin with non stick spray.
- Make Vegan Buttermilk by combining 1 cup non-dairy milk (I prefer almond milk) with 1/2 tbsp of vinegar. (You can use Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar here but do note that these will no longer be low FODMAP if you do so.)
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and white sugar.
- Gently fold strawberries into the dry ingredients until all strawberries are well coated, this will yield strawberries that are evenly distributed in the batter and prevent them all sinking to the bottom of the muffin during baking.
- Make 1 egg replacer.
- Combine all liquid ingredients (buttermilk, oil, vanilla, egg replacer) with the lemon zest.
- Fold liquid ingredients into dry ingredients being careful to not over mix or mash up the strawberries in the process.
- Scoop by 1/3 cup measure into prepared muffin tins and top each muffin with some sprinkles of cane sugar.
- Bake for ~25 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool.